Author Topic: How quotes work.  (Read 3418 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Dreaming of double-digit mpg...
  • Non Supporting Members
  • Wishing I had TJKDave's Crawl Ratio...
  • Model and Year: 2002 TJ Sport
Re: How quotes work.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 12:54:11 AM »
There it is, your Quotation tutorial.  If folks are still confused or have trouble with it, msg me PLEASE! :)  I enjoy explaining this stuff.  Sometimes I don't word it in a way that is easily understood the first time so let me know if a specific area is confusing! :)

Just remember, to start a command, use [ then the word that is your command (such as QUOTE) then close the command with ].  Everything from then on will be quoted until you tell the forum you're done with that command.  Tell it to stop quoting by issuing another command with [, then /QUOTE  and close the command with ].  Remember that to END a command, the word needs to have / in front of it without a space!  If your quote (or any other command) isn't working right, check for missing brackets ['s and ]'s. or the missing / at the end.  That's where my mistakes usually occur!  Remember, there's a 'modify' button right next to the 'quote' button on every one of your posts!  Don't delete it, just fix it! :)
Don't know what that sound is?  Keep driving. She'll let you know in a minute if it's going to be an issue...

Offline Lucifer

• Non Supporting Members
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 12:28:58 AM »
 :o

When did Mike say that?

Well, he didn't... at least not to my knowledge!

You all saw how I did it... by manipulating the quote a little bit. 

If I wanted to create a quote that had no author/thread link at all, I could just do this:
Code: [Select]
[quote] I see said the blind man. [/quote]
That would look like this if not placed in a 'code' box:

I see said the blind man.

Notice how it just says that it's quoted and there's no author or link to click?

Well... back to multiple quotes...

[quote author=Lucifer link=topic=905.msg10140#msg10140 date=1259297857]
[quote author=Lucifer link=topic=905.msg10138#msg10138 date=1259296709]
[quote author=Lucifer link=topic=905.msg10136#msg10136 date=1259296417]
This is my example piece that I'm going to quote.
[/quote]
So... how did I get the full quote above?
[/quote]
So that's pretty simple...
[/quote]

Now what if I only wanted to quote the last thing said, even though the last poster quoted other people?

I would delete some of it... basically everything between the part I want to keep, and the first "command"... Why this stuff?

The forum sees the first command... it says "quote post 3"... so, the computer quotes it... but post 3 that it's quoting, has a command within it... so... the forum gets the next command... essentially like this
quote post 3 which quotes post 2 which quotes post 1.

Soooo that's the sequence of the commands.

To take just the last post out of the long list of posts quoted above, we would change this:

DELETE EVERYTHING FROM THIS LINE -->[quote author=Lucifer link=topic=905.msg10138#msg10138 date=1259296709]
                                                        [/quote]
TO THIS LINE       -------------->          [/quote]
                                                        [/quote]

To this:
[/quote]

The end result is:

Basically just delete everything between the part we want quoted, and the first 'command'.

This will remove the 'old' quoted posts and leave us with quoting just the most recent post.

If we wanted say the last post AND what he/she quoted, like this:

We would only remove things relevant to the first post, or oldest post... it would look like this in code:

[/quote]
[/quote]

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:48:02 AM by Lucifer »
Don't know what that sound is?  Keep driving. She'll let you know in a minute if it's going to be an issue...

Offline Lucifer

• Non Supporting Members
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 12:15:30 AM »

Wow... now I've got 3 quotes... but what if I only wanted to quote a portion of what was said?

There's a lot of numbers and letters and stuff up top...

Well, if you take a minute to read it, it breaks down pretty easy.

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

The first line has the symbol [ to tell the forums that we're going to give it a command.

The command word QUOTE is at the beginning, so the forum knows we're doing a quote.

Then, it references who the author was with 'author=Lucifer'  That's straightforward enough.

Now it gives a link to the topic and message position so if someone clicks on it, it will take you right to that message that's being quoted. (it's the long part that starts with 'link=topic' and is followed with a bunch of numbers. That's just way too confusing to play with since the forum assigns numbers of it's own accord to reference forum areas within itself... we'll just leave that alone for now.)

Lastly, it shows the date.  That's the part that starts with 'date=' and is followed by more numbers.  The numbers are an integer obtained as the number of seconds since 00:00:00 UTC on January 1, 1970.... essentially this is how all computers tell time. (You can read more about it here: Wikipedia Entry about the Unix Millennium Bug This is why the y2k bug was a hoax and computers really ARE set to fail in the year 2038... Check out the link for more info.)

The whole 'command' ends with a ] to tell the forum we're done with the command's instructions and it can begin doing what we told it to.

Lastly, at the very end of each separate quote, there is a /quote (with the brackets) to show the forum that each individual message is ending.  Remember, the forum does what we tell it, so... by putting three [ quote ] commands at the beginning, we told the forum we're doing THREE quotes which means we'll need to CLOSE three quotes with /quote.  Remember, just the word by itself is the "START" button and the word with a / in front of it is the end button.

The first two parts can be played with pretty easily. 

If I wanted to do something like pretend that Mike ZJ had posted something somewhere and I'm quoting him, I could type:
[quote] author= Mike ZJ] Hey Bill, this is great, but how much is it?  $49.95?  $39.95? No!  For the low price of $19.95, you can have all the quotes you want![/quote]
The code I just typed would look like this, had I not put it in an example box:

Quote from:  Mike ZJ
Hey Bill, this is great, but how much is it?  $49.95?  $39.95? No!  For the low price of $19.95, you can have all the quotes you want!

All I did was type a name in after the 'author=' part.  Remember, until we put the ] the forum is looking for more instructions.  Sooo... we could have the blank quote command and leave it at that or... we can spice it up with adding the detail of who the author is.  The groovy part about this is, the 'author' doesn't have to be anything specific.  You could even have:

Quote from: Hulk Hogan
Snap in to a Slim Jim

if you really wanted. :)

This is what that code looked like, just so you can see the example.
[quote author=Hulk Hogan] Snap in to a Slim Jim [/quote]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 01:43:05 AM by Lucifer »

Offline Lucifer

• Non Supporting Members
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 11:57:37 PM »
So some folks approached me and asked me about how the quoting thing works.  I've also noted a couple errors in how to do the quote command in our forums so I thought I'd toss out a little "how to", just for folks to better understand it. :)

This first post will be what I pull an example from, so....

By pressing the 'quote' button, located at the top right of the post that I'm quoting.  It's located here:

But what if we're quoting someone who's all ready quoted another person... like I just did...  Well now we're going to have a couple boxes and a couple people quoted.

Sometimes this is wanted... other times, you just want to quote the person just before you and not EVERYONE that's been quoted (like in the ban game for an easy example.)

with multiple quotes, your message is going to look like this (I've deleted some stuff to save room):

[/quote]
By pressing the 'quote' button, located at the top right of the post that I'm quoting.  It's located here:
[img]http://pv4wd.com/bill/Pictures/example1.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

{FOOTNOTE: Notice the img command in there.  It's right at the end.  That's another example of a command word starting and stopping.  The image is a web link to a picture I uploaded and saved in a folder online.  You can see where the command starts with the [ img ] and where it ends with the [ /img ] }

Well this can get tricky, but it doesn't have to be.  Some simple rules are...

When [ and ] are used, usually whatever is in the middle is a command... like the word 'quote'

When you have the brackets around a command word, it 'starts' the command.  When you have the brackets with a / before the command word, it 'ends' the command.

Like this:
[quote] This command begins a quote
[/quote] This command ENDS a quote
[IMG] This command begins an image link
[/IMG] This command ENDS an image link

Those are just a couple examples.  Other commands that are used are URL, CODE (that's how I'm making the little boxes with the 'code' in it) and FTP just to name a few.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:58:16 AM by Lucifer »

Offline Lucifer

• Non Supporting Members
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 11:38:29 PM »
So some folks approached me and asked me about how the quoting thing works.  I've also noted a couple errors in how to do the quote command in our forums so I thought I'd toss out a little "how to", just for folks to better understand it. :)

Offline Lucifer

• Non Supporting Members
How quotes work.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 11:33:37 PM »