Author Topic: Noisy Cricket (75 CJ-5)  (Read 3081 times)

Offline NoisyCricket

• 2019 Supporting Members
  • Jeep Brakes are only a concept.
  • Model and Year: 1975 CJ5
Re: Noisy Cricket (75 CJ-5)
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 10:20:35 AM »
Yeah Mike, I think you are right ...it's an air flow issue.  I've got that fan from a Lincoln Mark VIII so I'll just throw that in before I spend any more money to fix something that isn't the issue.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:31:18 AM by NoisyCricket »

Offline Mike Reynolds

• President
  • Model and Year: 2005 Wrangler Willys Edition
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 03:15:28 PM »
A high efficiency 2core like they use in nascar will keep the engine cooler than a typical 4 core. So it all depends on the type of 2 core you have. If it only runs hot at slower speeds then it’s probably an air flow issue anyways. I have had luck with the Flexalite series 1300 flex fans in the past when other fans didn’t get the job done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeepin ain't easy

Offline NoisyCricket

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 11:23:24 AM »
Have a couple of issues that I still need to sort out.

The carb seems to run a little rich at idle and it tends to the foul the plugs when I'm wheeling. It's fine when I'm pounding the pavement so it's only a problem when I'm off-road.  I've been toying with the idea of getting EFI but I think I want to try a couple of things to see if I can get this carb dialed in.  I just realized the coil is nearly 20 years old, good lord it seems like I put that in yesterday.

The other issue is cooling, again only a problem off-road.  The mechanical fan can't pull enough air across the radiator at idle, I have an electrical fan, just need a controller and I can install it.  However, I just remembered that the radiator is just a two core job.  They are big cores and it supposed to be up to the task at hand, but I have to wonder ...enough to make me consider getting something a little better.  I guess it will all depend on how much in taxes I need to dish out.

Offline NoisyCricket

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 05:01:11 PM »
Finally got the front-end all squared away and what a pain it was...

Last year, I broke a u-joint splayed out the ears on my driver side axle shaft.  Not surprising as the front-end is locked putting a lot of stress on the joints going into the turns.  I decided that putting in a set of RCV’s would be the best path to help with this issue.  Yes, I know it doesn’t solve the problem but I’m hoping these will be up to the task.

First, a huge shout out to Josh from RCV Performance.  There were a couple of issues with my order as this was a custom application and he was simply awesome throughout!

I wish that I could say that just getting the axles was the biggest challenge but it wasn’t.  Since they don’t fit through the steering knuckles I had to figure out how I was going get these things installed.  There was nothing online that even came close to helping so I was clearly on my own.  Adding to the fun, getting some simple parts proved to be a tad frustrating.  It’s done now and this was how.
First, I have a Dana 44 from a Scout or a mid-70’s Wagoneer that was cut down to CJ spec’s.  These are the steps I took to install my RCV axles, I’m not a pro by any means so keep that in mind.
     1)  I removed the steering knuckles  - I did this first to replace the upper and lower ball joints.  The uppers can not be greasable, there won’t be enough
          room for the new RCV joint.

2)  Reinstalled the knuckle but only torqued the lower ball joint. I did this so I could grind down the lower ball joint stud to make more clearance for the joint
          (suggested by RCV).

3)  Removed the knuckle and safety wired the joint to the inner side.

4)  Installed the orange dust cover on the inner shaft and inserted in the housing.  Liberal amount of molly was applied to the inside and on the top side of
          the dust cover.

5)  Reinstalled the knuckle – it’s a bit of a fight and you do have to push hard on the dust cover to move it out of the way.  The molly on the top helps by
          allowing the bottom of the upper ball joint slide in place. Once it’s in place follow the normal installation procedures for the knucke.

6)  Remove safety wire and install joint on the inner shaft.  That’s not too bad but to get the dust cover on I pulled the shaft up tight against the knuckle and
          used a pry bar to push it on the joint from behind …worked really well.

7)  Install the outer shaft in secure it with the roll pin

8)  Pray to god that you never have to remove any of this….

After that it was the rest was standard stuff to reassemble the front-end.

I did replace the inner axle seals and all the tie-rod ends while I was in there.  I also used Nord-Locks for my hubs so I don’t expect those bolts to loosen up anymore.

So now that is fixed, I now need to rework the carb so the engine isn’t running so rich and address the cooling issue.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:16:55 AM by NoisyCricket »

Offline NoisyCricket

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 12:26:07 PM »
Got the new kit and the axles shafts don't fit ...it's partially my fault.  One measurement I provided what 1/4 too long and that's totally on me, but that's going to be an easy fix with a quick trim.  The other side gave them the wrong length in the order form (typo) but in talking with the sales guy, we both think we caught that when we talked about the order ...but we aren't 100% sure.  Still, they are going to hook me up and make things right.  That's the good news, the bad news is I'm still waiting for axles shafts.

Offline NoisyCricket

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 01:57:27 PM »
I was super excited to receive my axle shaft kit on Saturday but that quickly faded away to disappointment when opened the box and saw that they didn't ship the inner shafts.  After a closer inspection, I discovered they shipped 30 spline outers and not the 27 that I was looking for.  Yes, I'm disappointed but I not really upset, these kinds of setbacks happen all the time.  I called up the vendor and they found my inner shafts so they are making up a new kit (with the correct outers) and shipping it out this afternoon ...fingers-crossed.

Offline NoisyCricket

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 04:29:21 PM »
Finally an update...

My new axle shafts have been made and were shipped today! While I have the shafts out, I'll be replacing all the studs in the steering knuckles, the threads on one were completely trashed and the rest weren't in the best shape.  I think the lesson there is not to use grade-8 nuts.

I'll also be using Nord-Lock's instead of lock washers for the hub bolts.  I know Paul was able to keep those nice and tight with these spendy little suckers so I'm expecting the same results.

Finally, I will replace the master brake cylinder but the rest of it can and will have to wait a bit longer.  I'm getting anxious...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:58:21 PM by NoisyCricket »

Offline NoisyCricket

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 02:55:52 PM »
I was hoping to get at least one more trip in but I've decided it's time to call it a year and get ready for the winter projects.  I'll be taking the trailer up to camp to store for the winter and take some time to think about what I want and need to do.

1) Axles: First thing is first, I need get new axles for the front.  Yes, I could just get the one on the long side but I have to have them made up so I might as well do it right and have spares.
2) Cooling:  Ran into some heating issues this year so I want to try an electric fan to see if getting more air flow over the radiator will help.
3) Brakes: A couple times at Larry's they went from being a concept to non-existent. I haven't found any leaks yet, so I'm thinking I need to replace the master cylinder.
4) Tranny Mount:  Need to fab one up that has a little more protection.

Clearly, there is more I'd like to do but that will depend on time and money.

Offline NoisyCricket

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 02:12:15 PM »
Brake lights -check
New CB - check
Rear Seat - check
The sum of all equals a happy wife to have her garage bay back!

I think it's time to hit the trails.

Offline NoisyCricket

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 09:48:39 PM »
Clutch has been adjusted and I've got new front shocks installed.  Bump stops are next, I just need to drill some new holes in the frame as soon as I get a new chuck for my right angle drill.

Also installed some recovery points on the front bumper and a new skid plate for my gas tank.  Discovered that the brake light switch wasn't working so I've go one on order and have a new CB to install.  I hope to bang out these minor things before heading out to Rausch Creek.

I don't need it for Rausch Creek, but I'm also installing a new back seat for the kid's.  That way I can take them on some of the stock friendly rides.

Offline NoisyCricket

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 01:02:04 PM »
I'll have to check out that that spray, I don't think that stuff I bought seals like yours. Thanks

Offline Mike Reynolds

• President
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 11:55:30 PM »
I used the DEI titanium header wrap on my exhaust. It is supposed to go through a curing process when it heats up that will prevent it from allowing moisture under it. Not sure if it works but time will tell. they do make a spray that seals it when you use regular wrap though. That might be worth checking into
Jeepin ain't easy

Offline NoisyCricket

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 09:39:47 PM »
I've replaced the value gasket on the drivers side and that took care the the oil leak that dripping on the exhaust manifold.  I replaced manifold gasket as that was leaking due to the oil dripping on it, so there is no more exhaust leak.  I think I'm going to regret this, but I also wrapped the manifold and the exhaust pipe with some exhaust tape ...I was thinking that it might help with the heat in the cab but now I'm worried what will happen when that starts to soak up some water and mud.  Nothing a sharp knife can't fix.  Everything on the passenger side is solid so I'm not going to touch that for now.

I also replaced the clutch master cylinder and bled the system but the petal is near the floor before it engages.  I might have to make a new plunger that's a bit longer, I hope that's all it will take.

For the front shocks, I've got some Skyjacker M95's coming in tomorrow.  So all I need to do is get that mount fixed and slap those on and I should be ready for the trails.

Oh yeah, I got the fan shroud on it and it does make a difference.  I have a fixed fan so I might have to rev up the motor to pull some air through the radiator but it does bring the temp back down. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:41:33 PM by NoisyCricket »

Offline NoisyCricket

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 06:40:13 PM »
Transmission mount has been repaired, still need to make up some skids plates but that can come later.

Got the Carb mounted and it took me forever to get it dialed in due to a sneaky vacuum leak in the vacuum advance line.  Once I got that squared away and advanced the timing to about 8 degree things started running much better. I still have some tweaking on the automatic choke but I'l not too worried about that.

That's all good news, during the course of all this I discovered that the master clutch cylinder (new last spring), drivers side value cover and exhaust manifold were all leaking so I ordered up a bunch of gaskets and rebuilt kits to get that all sorted out.

I'm getting anxious to get on the trail so the fan upgrade is on hold and just purchased a fan shroud in hopes that will get me by for the summer.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:42:15 PM by NoisyCricket »

Offline NoisyCricket

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 08:04:59 PM »
Picked up a Mark VIII fan, that will be fun little project now that things are warming up.  Hope to pick up some raw materials this week to fix my transmission mount and add a little more protection underneath. 

To save a little time and hassle, I've pulled my carb and having that rebuilt professionally.  I really wanted to rebuild it myself but since I've never done it and have other projects I decided this is the best route ...I'll give a shot next time.

Also looking to score a York 209, really wanted a 210 but for $15 I think I can settle and upgrade later.

Offline woolyworm

• Cheat J 101...Build a Jeep
  • Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 05:24:32 PM »
That looks like a little self clearancing to me :)

Wooly
75CJ7, 72 AMC 304, T18, 45:1 crawl, chromo axles, warn hubs, 3" Black Diamond, 1/4" belly skid, front locker, other goodies, sweat ...

Offline Mike Reynolds

• President
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
Ooops
Jeepin ain't easy

Offline NoisyCricket

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 04:18:07 PM »
Damage Report from the Chili Crawl:

Transmission crossmember was tweaked a little and have a bit of an issue with the transmission mount.  I also noticed that one of the shocks was banged up but that might had been like that before.

Offline NoisyCricket

Noisy Cricket (75 CJ-5)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 04:59:24 PM »
1975 Jeep CJ-5
Purchased in 1999

I found this completely stock Jeep at a small dealership in Houlton. After a quick inspection to ensure that it was solid and a little haggling it was mine.  The upgrades started almost immediately. 

Build Out:
AMC 360 V8
T-18 Transmission
Hydraulic clutch
Dana 20 Transfer case
Front/Rear  Dana 44 w/ 4:27 gears, Powertrax Lock Right (front) and Powr-Lok (rear)
Front Disk Brake upgrade
Reverse Shackle swap w/ later model springs
U-bolt flip
Tie Rod Flip/upgrade
Power Steering
Skyjacker M95/Pro Comp ES 9000 shocks
Super Swamper TSL Q78's
Full cage with mounted seats
Custom Bumpers
WARN M8000 w/ DC Connector
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:56:50 PM by NoisyCricket »