Author Topic: Tires  (Read 3459 times)

74Cj5

Re: Tires
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »
I never head of these.  I like them.

I agree with all that RM.  the sidewalls on those SX's are awesome.  Seen the trepadors?  Radial and Bias - $$$$$.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:14:51 AM by Doc »

Offline woolyworm

• Cheat J 101...Build a Jeep
  • Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 12:23:36 PM »
I agree with all that RM.  the sidewalls on those SX's are awesome.  Seen the trepadors?  Radial and Bias - $$$$$.

Wooly
75CJ7, 72 AMC 304, T18, 45:1 crawl, chromo axles, warn hubs, 3" Black Diamond, 1/4" belly skid, front locker, other goodies, sweat ...

Offline rockman

• 2019 Supporting Members
  • Model and Year: 97 TJ and 03 Rubicon
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 08:49:41 AM »
Radial tires offer superior traction but you have to drive slow to allow them to contour to the ground. The casings are thinner and more flexible so if you're a big throttle guy then you're better off with bias tires. The TSLs look 10x better than KM2s but looks are deceiving. The center tread doesn't have enough breaks in it so it doesn't have the grip to crawl as well. Those SX2s look much better.

Skip

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 12:20:07 AM »
I have run both narrow and wide tires on my TJ. I prefer narrow bias ply. I have found that the radials tend to cut sidewalls, at least on the rocky trails we run at WMMJ. The bias tires have better side walls. I also like the narrow tires much better and have found that the 10.50 on a 35 inch tire works best for me. I also use bead locks so I can air down to a low PSI. I have used three different Supper Swampers, the SSR's, Boggers, and the TSL. The SSR's worked good but the radial side wall cut easy, I have several fairly new ones with rips in the side. The Boggers were great, except in one place, climbing a slick or mud wall they would slide to the side. This was a problem only in one place, at Dave Cody's, he has a muddy hill climb. I have been using 36 X 12.50 - 15 TSL's and I love them but I ordered the wrong ones. I meant to buy the Q78's that are only 10.80 wide and 36 inches tall. I plan on grooving the Boggers and using them and sell the the 36 inch TSL's, then  buy some Q78's.

Skip
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:36:19 PM by Skip »

Offline djljeep

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 07:32:44 PM »
I would carry a spare valve stem.  I ran tubes in my dads jeep for a year or two and found that I tore a valve stem out every couple of rides.  Got old quick.  granted I certainly wasn't nice to them and I was running single digit pressures.  I had way less problems when i pulled the last of the tubes out.  If you have the cash Stauns are absolutely the way to go I think.

Offline woolyworm

• Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 06:45:06 PM »
We're gonna find out.  There is about an 2" section of bead that's torn so it won't seal all the way.  If this doesn't work I guess I'll just have to hear up the credit card with a set of those TSL SX's

Wooly
75CJ7, 72 AMC 304, T18, 45:1 crawl, chromo axles, warn hubs, 3" Black Diamond, 1/4" belly skid, front locker, other goodies, sweat ...

Offline Mike Reynolds

• President
  • Model and Year: 2005 Wrangler Willys Edition
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 06:40:25 PM »
All that and it will still shake  LOL  How will a tube work when your at low pressures?
Jeepin ain't easy

Offline woolyworm

• Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
Tires
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 06:16:10 PM »
Mike - I really see no need to bad mouth such a finely crafted tire.  I mean look how close they come to being balanced right out of the box LOL - I just had a tube put in this one and needed to balance it since I can't use beads anymore - holy crap!

Wooly
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 06:38:13 PM by woolyworm »

Offline rockman

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 06:09:08 AM »
I agree with David about airing down. Proper airing down seems to make more of a difference than the tire that you run. Popping a bead is usually not a bad experience, it's worth experimenting. I too have seen a big difference with 1 psi, it's over 10% less. Everyone can get by with 10 psi but the question is how far can you practically go with your rig, tires and driving style.
I'm out the door heading for Killington. LOL

Offline djljeep

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 11:20:20 PM »
I didn't buy the tires on my CJ5, but I know they are 34x9.5R15 and I would guess that they are radial they way they act, but I'm honestly not sure.  My dads 5 has like 20 year old 34X9.5R15 bias ply.  I'm fairly sure I know people who have bought 34X9.5 TSLs recently but I'm not sure if the are LTB or regular TSLs.  Knowing them the softer rubber of the LTB wouldn't be a concern.

I would absolutely agree that swampers are not a street tire.  I comfortably drive mine to work when I feel like it, but If i'm going wheeling further than Bethel I typically use a trailer anyway.  Mine sees more trail miles than road miles.

Offline Mike Reynolds

• President
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 09:53:34 PM »
I can't fault Swampers for what they are made for because simply put their grip is second to none. I just really enjoy driving my Jeep on the road also. I like having a tire I can comfortably drive 3 hours to Bethel and wheel some of the harder trails then drive back having a blast the whole time. My MTRs have conquered most of the trails we run at 10 psi and very rarely need to pull cable, and they roll smooth at 70mph. They are half worn after 2 years so with an investment of less than $220 a tire I am very pleased. What little advantage a Swamper will give me on the trail ain't worth the extra cost, shorter life, and poor road manners. I just wish there was more size choices  :nuts:
Jeepin ain't easy

Offline woolyworm

• Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 09:27:20 PM »
And Mike - I'd buy a little less aggressive 35x10.5 in a heartbeat as well.  Too bad the KM2 or the Goodyears you run don't come in that size.  The true size of the 35x12.5 KM2 is however about 10" width at the tread.  I'd like to see how they size out on my 8" chrome wheels.

Wooly

Offline woolyworm

• Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 09:22:15 PM »
I'm going to send Mike a set of swampers for Christmas since Zi now know he likes them so much :)

David - are you running the LTBs or the bias TSLs?  My understanding is that the 34x10.5 is only available in the LTB - I have that size but they say TSL on the side. 

Also understand that the LTB has more natural rubber in them which is stickier but wears faster.

The tire I first reference below is the TSL special service which is bias 35x9.5 with ridiculous lugs on them - don't see to many around but I have before.

Good discussion guys

Wooly

Offline djljeep

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 08:51:51 PM »
From my experience with the Western Maine crowd - It absolutely depends on the vehicle on the half a dozen flat fenders and CJ5s we run the 34X9.5 TSLs seem to rule supreme, but Dave Smith runs BFGs and does fantastic with them.  The same tire on a larger vehicle has a much easier time knocking the bead down on the little narrow tires.  The absolute biggest factor is tire pressure and tire flex.  John Willis (the red TJ that was with us at Dave's) used to have to air down lower than he was comfortable with because his brandy new SXs would not flex until he got a few rides on them.  Turn around and TJ Copeland could run a higher pressure on the same exact tire with the same effect because they were several years old and worn in. 

It's all about running the correct pressure for the situation, not having that one number you always air down to.  In the winter I'll run 4 psi without beadlocks, because that's what it takes to move out of my own way in 4 feet of snow, but in the summer I can get the same tire flex around 6 psi and not loose a bead on every other rock.  I know a lot of people are skeptical of running less than 10 psi, but I have to tell you I was at 7 psi at the beginning of the day at Dave's and when i went down to 5.5-6psi it worked much better.  You wouldn't believe the difference that 1 psi made, and with stock CJ rims and 9.5" tires I very rarely have tire issues (the issue I had at Dave's was a cut valve stem).  Also just watch people like TJ and some of the others running Staun internal beadlocks and you will find the next big purchase you have to make, just sayin.

Back to tire selection, it comes down to tire ground pressure.  A big jeep can get away with fat tires because they can put more weight and force to them.  A small jeep needs the narrower tire to have a similar ground pressure and compensate for its weight.  Personally I love my Pizza Cutters, and I will ultimately run them on every CJ5 I own until they won't make them anymore, bias ply if I can.  There are certainly some good fat tires with merit too.  Can't argue with the forward traction of a bogger, and I have been super impressed with Roger's Pitbulls.  Even though they are wore out the 36X12.5 SXs on my dads TJ are way better than the 35X12.5" BFG mud terrains with 3/4 tread they replaced.

Offline rockman

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 09:48:44 PM »
I've done a lot of digging and most mud is just silt on top of hard ground so a narrow tire will go through the mud and get good traction on the hard ground underneath. Works good when you drive slow. Wider tires are better for sand and heavier vehicles. Just my opinion.

Offline woolyworm

• Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 09:33:18 PM »
I don't usually get into any mud more than 12" deep or so so I don't think that really matters but on the majority of our trails where it is 2" of duff and then rock and roots I wonder how they would do.

It's pretty hard to "float" when you are going up a 35 degree incline.

I've got plans to flip my ubolts and raise my lower shock mounts if I can figure out a way to raise the upper mounts on the rears to gain clearance instead of going taller.

Wooly

Offline Mike Reynolds

• President
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »
The highly built diesel CJ that showed up on a trailer at Truckworks right after everyone left with the RTI ramp was running those. They work good offroad on some stuff but are junk tires, wear like shit, separate and not even close to round unless you are lucky enough to get a good set. Good luck. Tire width in general is a personal preference thing. Each will have an advantage on certain obstacles and trail conditions. I personally would love to try a 35x10.50 if someone besides Swamper made them.
Jeepin ain't easy

Offline rockman

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 09:28:35 PM »
The narrower the better in my book but I'm also a radial guy. There's something I'm having trouble understanding though. Some tires look much more aggressive than others but they seem to go about the same. ???

Offline Grimm

• Self taught Trained Professional
  • Too. Many. Projects.
  • Model and Year: Wouldn't you like to know
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 09:19:11 PM »
The good thing about a narrow tire is also the problem. They cut down into the mud to try to find a hard bottom. By doing so they tear up trails that otherwise a wide tire may just "float" over.
What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Offline woolyworm

• Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
Tires
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:09:14 PM »
So I've been ruminating over tires
 as of late - not that I really need to since I've got an almost new set of all terrains on aluminum wheels and my severe duty LTBs with about half tread left on them on my stock wheels - but I am, it's a jeep thing.  Should be focusing on finishing my roll cage or finding truetrac for my 20 but ......

Anyways, I don't know if anyone has seen these, I have and they have ridiculous lugs on them with just shy of 1" of tread depth.  they are a true 34" tall by 8" true wide.  That bite super hard.  I've been debating on staying with my dual tire setup or going with a 35 BFG KM2.  I'm working through a design to cut a bit of my fenders and running pope inside and adding a seconds pipe flare to provide clearance and protection.  Anyway, here are the swamper special service tires.  They were made specifically for jeeps and land cruisers.  I know most of you are running fat tires and swear by that for traction but I'd throw out there the concept of s narrow tire to cut and provide the most traction - especially with our relatively light vehicles - think about how a knife works....

Wooly