Author Topic: Potential offroad air compromise  (Read 1174 times)

Offline woolyworm

• Cheat J 101...Build a Jeep
  • Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
Re: Potential offroad air compromise
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 12:01:04 PM »

That weldernator idea is super cool and my rig will have one at some point. Not entirely sure how to package that yet but it's down the road anyways. I suppose you're right about using a York instead of the sanden. I just saw that picture with what appears to be the Sanden. The main draw for me with the Sanden was the ease that it packaged and the stock look. If you were going to go electric the York might be better. I'm not 100% convinced the York is all that much better though. The internal oil sump design is cool but the upright design is considerably harder to package. My sanden that I packed with grease is running great so far and I have run it quite a bit. Time will tell though. Also the air output's are fairly close when you get right down to it.

Anyways either puts out a ton of air and will rival most any shop compressor. I actually have considered making a shop compressor on the cheap with a sanden. Plus Sanden's came on so many vehicles they are pretty easy to find.

You might want to look into a dual battery setup to compare.

Wooly
75CJ7, 72 AMC 304, T18, 45:1 crawl, chromo axles, warn hubs, 3" Black Diamond, 1/4" belly skid, front locker, other goodies, sweat ...

Offline djljeep

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 12:17:48 AM »
Yorks are actually mounted on their side from the factory, they just loose some oil unless you block the port.  I have a Sanden in my Dad's TJ and while it is impressive, (I run an impact on it) the Yorks I've used are better.  Yorks were on Wagoneers so they aren't impossible to find. 

Offline yamaha225

• 2019 Supporting Members
  • Jeepin on a college budget
    • Maineiac Offroad
  • Model and Year: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:35:46 PM »
That weldernator idea is super cool and my rig will have one at some point. Not entirely sure how to package that yet but it's down the road anyways. I suppose you're right about using a York instead of the sanden. I just saw that picture with what appears to be the Sanden. The main draw for me with the Sanden was the ease that it packaged and the stock look. If you were going to go electric the York might be better. I'm not 100% convinced the York is all that much better though. The internal oil sump design is cool but the upright design is considerably harder to package. My sanden that I packed with grease is running great so far and I have run it quite a bit. Time will tell though. Also the air output's are fairly close when you get right down to it.

Anyways either puts out a ton of air and will rival most any shop compressor. I actually have considered making a shop compressor on the cheap with a sanden. Plus Sanden's came on so many vehicles they are pretty easy to find.
'97 TJ, 4 really angry squirrels under the hood, AX-5, 31 MT/R-K's, 44:1 crawl ratio, 8000 Smittybilt X2O winch, Sanden OBA, 2.5 inch RC spring lift, Custom Fab Rear bumper, Ford 8.8 Rear Axle with 4.10's and Trac Lok Limit Slip, Dana 30 Front Axle with 4.10's and a Aussie Locker, Metalcloak Rear Upper Control Arms and Trackbar

Offline djljeep

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 06:22:11 PM »
One of the other WMMJ guys has a starter motor hooked to a York.  If you are going to go through the trouble of building the electric drive, why not use the better compressor.  The only reason people use Sandens for OBA is because they bolt in or are already there.  That being said, as long as you run a heavy enough cable for it to work, why not?

Since you enjoy these auto-hacks, I'll do you a favor.  Google "weldernator"  As a half sparky, half mechie, i've also wanted to make one.

Offline yamaha225

• 2019 Supporting Members
  • Jeepin on a college budget
    • Maineiac Offroad
  • Model and Year: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Potential offroad air compromise
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:25:28 PM »
Reading JP which is where I found that welder and they also had a blip about this cool new air compressor. It's basically a Sanden hooked to an electric motor. Looks like a really cool idea since you get the output of a Sanden but the convenience and mounting flexibility of a 12 volt compressor. Plus if you have AC you can keep it. Also it seems to me anyone could make one of these with a bit of engineering. The Sanden end of things is known and tested in the DIY world so you would just need a 12 volt motor with enough power. I love the output but if I had working AC this would have been a cool option. It didn't work on my Jeep so no lose there for me
'97 TJ, 4 really angry squirrels under the hood, AX-5, 31 MT/R-K's, 44:1 crawl ratio, 8000 Smittybilt X2O winch, Sanden OBA, 2.5 inch RC spring lift, Custom Fab Rear bumper, Ford 8.8 Rear Axle with 4.10's and Trac Lok Limit Slip, Dana 30 Front Axle with 4.10's and a Aussie Locker, Metalcloak Rear Upper Control Arms and Trackbar