Visitor Center / Information > Member's Rigs

College Kid's TJ with 4 Pissed off Squirrels

(1/14) > >>

yamaha225:
Well I suppose the title to this thread is a bit wrong now since I've graduated. However, that said the old Jeep is getting some spring time upgrades. So far I've got a Currie Anti-Rock swaybar installed, a MetalCloak front trackbar, and a V8 ZJ tie rod. Hoping that these mods make it a bit nicer to drive on the street. It hasn't had a swaybar for about 3 years, so having one, even an Offroad, one will be a nice change.

Next up are some MetalCloak rear lower control arms to match the rear upper ones, and rear track bar. Once that's done I'll just need front upper and lower arms and it will have a full set of aftermarket arms.

Then next up are hopefully some longer shocks to gain a bit more travel. I've also got some maintenance items to finish up before Embden. It's coming along well though and I'm excited to try it out.

I've also go my eyes on the new BFG KM3 mud terrains since my MTR/K's are getting a bit worn (they've been on it 4.5 years and around 30,000 road miles). All the reviews I'm seeing so far are really promising. Excited for a great summer of wheeling!

I'll have some pictures to put up soon as well!

yamaha225:
I'm not too worried about pushing it up a whole lot or absolutely getting it flat with the frame but anything I can gain would be great. I mainly just want to get rid of the stock skidplate. For one thing it's not strong enough and I keep bending it. And all of the bumps, lips, and edges it has get hung up on absolutely everything. I've also thought about making the skid out of UMHW. Basically a tube frame skinned in the plastic. From some of the reading I've done it slides really well and is really quiet offroad which could be cool

rockman:
I did a belly lift on the blue Jeep but it turned out to be a huge project. It hangs down 1" below the frame and it's a big help but I can't remember the company, most likely from Quadratec. The big problem was drive-line angle which caused vibration even with a SYE. My solution was to cut and extend the upper CAs to rotate the axle assembly. Also had to cut and re-weld all of the brackets. Another problem was the diff. would now hit the gas tank skid on every good bump and the 8.8 would be worse. I'd look into a d-shaft with a double u-joint on each end.

yamaha225:
I figured it might be about time for a quick update to this thread. I got the Jeep back on the road around August and made it to some rides this fall. I have been super happy with the upgrades. As most of you know I finally got the 8.8 in the back that I bought over 2 years ago for the Jeep. It turned out to be a bit more of a project than I had bargained. When I bought the axle I didn't really know what to look for and it turned out to need a full rebuild. The pinion bearings were absolutely shot so I bought a full rebuild kit and did pinion bearings, carrier bearings, axle bearings, and seals. The axle has a factory limit slip that seems to be working pretty well. I'm planning on rebuilding that and adding a few extra shims to tighten it up at some point when I have some time. This winter I decided to keep it out and on the road. The new driveshaft and SYE has been great and has completely eliminated all of my driveline vibes. I also really like the Metalcloak upper arms and rear trackbar that I put in it.

This winter I hope to push the t-case up as much as I can and get the belly as flat as possible. The plan is to build a crossmember to support the t-case and transmission and then build or buy a flatter and smoother skid plate. To that end I bought a t-case shifter linkage from a place called Azzy's Design Works that is adjustable and gets rid of the bracket on the tub. It took a bit to get it adjusted but it is pretty smooth and seems to work well. The part I really liked is that it is around $55 to your door. I wanted a Novak cable shifter but that money I saved can be spent on other upgrades.

I also need to finish my rocker guards.

Corey:
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.   It will be worth the aggravation!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version