Author Topic: College Kid's TJ with 4 Pissed off Squirrels  (Read 16751 times)

Offline yamaha225

• 2019 Supporting Members
  • Jeepin on a college budget
    • Maineiac Offroad
  • Model and Year: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Re: College Kid's TJ with 4 Pissed off Squirrels
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2018, 09:17:20 PM »
Well I suppose the title to this thread is a bit wrong now since I've graduated. However, that said the old Jeep is getting some spring time upgrades. So far I've got a Currie Anti-Rock swaybar installed, a MetalCloak front trackbar, and a V8 ZJ tie rod. Hoping that these mods make it a bit nicer to drive on the street. It hasn't had a swaybar for about 3 years, so having one, even an Offroad, one will be a nice change.

Next up are some MetalCloak rear lower control arms to match the rear upper ones, and rear track bar. Once that's done I'll just need front upper and lower arms and it will have a full set of aftermarket arms.

Then next up are hopefully some longer shocks to gain a bit more travel. I've also got some maintenance items to finish up before Embden. It's coming along well though and I'm excited to try it out.

I've also go my eyes on the new BFG KM3 mud terrains since my MTR/K's are getting a bit worn (they've been on it 4.5 years and around 30,000 road miles). All the reviews I'm seeing so far are really promising. Excited for a great summer of wheeling!

I'll have some pictures to put up soon as well!
'97 TJ, 4 really angry squirrels under the hood, AX-5, 31 MT/R-K's, 44:1 crawl ratio, 8000 Smittybilt X2O winch, Sanden OBA, 2.5 inch RC spring lift, Custom Fab Rear bumper, Ford 8.8 Rear Axle with 4.10's and Trac Lok Limit Slip, Dana 30 Front Axle with 4.10's and a Aussie Locker, Metalcloak Rear Upper Control Arms and Trackbar

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2017, 04:06:59 PM »
I'm not too worried about pushing it up a whole lot or absolutely getting it flat with the frame but anything I can gain would be great. I mainly just want to get rid of the stock skidplate. For one thing it's not strong enough and I keep bending it. And all of the bumps, lips, and edges it has get hung up on absolutely everything. I've also thought about making the skid out of UMHW. Basically a tube frame skinned in the plastic. From some of the reading I've done it slides really well and is really quiet offroad which could be cool
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:17:37 PM by yamaha225 »
'97 TJ, 4 really angry squirrels under the hood, AX-5, 31 MT/R-K's, 44:1 crawl ratio, 8000 Smittybilt X2O winch, Sanden OBA, 2.5 inch RC spring lift, Custom Fab Rear bumper, Ford 8.8 Rear Axle with 4.10's and Trac Lok Limit Slip, Dana 30 Front Axle with 4.10's and a Aussie Locker, Metalcloak Rear Upper Control Arms and Trackbar

Offline rockman

• Model and Year: 97 TJ and 03 Rubicon
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2016, 07:33:13 AM »
I did a belly lift on the blue Jeep but it turned out to be a huge project. It hangs down 1" below the frame and it's a big help but I can't remember the company, most likely from Quadratec. The big problem was drive-line angle which caused vibration even with a SYE. My solution was to cut and extend the upper CAs to rotate the axle assembly. Also had to cut and re-weld all of the brackets. Another problem was the diff. would now hit the gas tank skid on every good bump and the 8.8 would be worse. I'd look into a d-shaft with a double u-joint on each end.

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2016, 01:49:56 PM »
I figured it might be about time for a quick update to this thread. I got the Jeep back on the road around August and made it to some rides this fall. I have been super happy with the upgrades. As most of you know I finally got the 8.8 in the back that I bought over 2 years ago for the Jeep. It turned out to be a bit more of a project than I had bargained. When I bought the axle I didn't really know what to look for and it turned out to need a full rebuild. The pinion bearings were absolutely shot so I bought a full rebuild kit and did pinion bearings, carrier bearings, axle bearings, and seals. The axle has a factory limit slip that seems to be working pretty well. I'm planning on rebuilding that and adding a few extra shims to tighten it up at some point when I have some time. This winter I decided to keep it out and on the road. The new driveshaft and SYE has been great and has completely eliminated all of my driveline vibes. I also really like the Metalcloak upper arms and rear trackbar that I put in it.

This winter I hope to push the t-case up as much as I can and get the belly as flat as possible. The plan is to build a crossmember to support the t-case and transmission and then build or buy a flatter and smoother skid plate. To that end I bought a t-case shifter linkage from a place called Azzy's Design Works that is adjustable and gets rid of the bracket on the tub. It took a bit to get it adjusted but it is pretty smooth and seems to work well. The part I really liked is that it is around $55 to your door. I wanted a Novak cable shifter but that money I saved can be spent on other upgrades.

I also need to finish my rocker guards.

Offline Corey

• Seven Slot Fabrication
  • Non Supporting Members
  • Build-Break-Repeat
  • Model and Year: 1993 Jeep Wrangler "Unlimited", 1952 Willys CJ-3a, 1997 TJ Sport
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2016, 09:58:24 PM »
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.   It will be worth the aggravation!
1952 Willys cj3a "resto-mod" project
1993 Wrangler YJ "Unlimited"  with a few mods
1997 Wrangler TJ, 4" lift and plenty of rust
1998.5 Dodge 2500 Cummins

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2016, 06:55:43 PM »
Well I haven't had nearly as much time to get home and work on the old girl as I would have liked. That said I did get home for a little bit the weekend before last and got the Dana 35 pulled. It put up a pretty good fight as that jeep usually does. Luckily by now I've got a pretty good selection of tools and techniques. The track bar really didn't want to let go but after some persuasion from the grinder and sawzall and my right foot it let go lol.

The next steps are to finish the 8.8, basically it needs carrier bearings and pinion bearings so I bought the whole kit with all the bearings and seals and also got the axle bearings and seals. Also gotta get some calipers and pads for it. Finish weld the brackets and run some brakelines. Then I can chuck that in it and build a driveshaft and it will be wheelable again. Also in the works are a trans crossmember and different belly skid as well as an oil pan skid. Oh and I still have to finish the sliders I started last summer. Luckily I have like a week and a half between the end of finals and the start of my internship so I can devote most of my time to it and bang it out. Shouldn't be too bad once I get going on it.

Oh and I also got a sweet new toolbox from Sears with my birthday money so I can organize my tools even more fanatically lol. 

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2015, 10:06:59 AM »
Thanks wooly! Will do

Offline woolyworm

• Cheat J 101...Build a Jeep
  • Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2015, 09:57:52 AM »
Good luck with your projects - keep us posted!

Wooly
75CJ7, 72 AMC 304, T18, 45:1 crawl, chromo axles, warn hubs, 3" Black Diamond, 1/4" belly skid, front locker, other goodies, sweat ...

Offline Cain

• Supporting member
  • If you can't be a good influence, Be a good warnin
  • Model and Year: 2000 tj sport 4.0 5spd, 4" BDS, D30/44 4.56's, 35" Mickey MTZ's
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2015, 06:53:13 AM »
I thought the same about the tube fenders and built mine wider,as you've seen it doesn't hinder my approach angle at all. I bought a couple 1 1/2"x10'x1/8"wall water line pipes at Home Depot for like $20pc, made a cardboard pattern of what I wanted and cut & welded. I had some stainless sheetmetal from a kitchen counter I used to skin it (which is good since when I stuff my tire it rubs the paint off) I'm thinking of adding to my rockers to bring them out like Luci's to help block more mud

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2015, 06:48:37 PM »
Oh also want to do a new front cage with TMR stanchions

Offline Mike Reynolds

• President
  • Model and Year: 2005 Wrangler Willys Edition
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2015, 06:37:43 PM »
Sounds like a win to me! 
Jeepin ain't easy

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2015, 03:27:05 PM »
Well the Jeep has claimed its spot in the garage for the next month or so. Planning on getting as much as possible done over the month I have off for christmas. Started last night by taking all the flares off in preparation to finish the rocker guards that I've started. Also got the dents popped out of the front fenders for the most part. Tube fenders would be nice but I really like the tire coverage and the look of the stock ones.

Game plan is to pull the T-case, figure out whats wrong with it, rebuild if necessary and install the SYE i've had for a year.

Then I'm going to atempt a tummy tuck without a body lift mainly to be different. I hate body lifts and would rather fab a new trans tunnel than screw around with my rusty body mounts. Gonna do a new skid and a seperate crossmember to hold it up. Then it needs a oil pan skid.

If all that goes well it's getting the 8.8 in the rear end with some nice disk brakes.

Also want to build a front bumper at some point here in the near future to protect my fenders and give me a bit better approach angle.

Also on the list are longer shocks since that's whats limiting my flex at the moment. Planning on extending the front towers on the top and potentially outboarding the rear ones. Since I scored a 1075 on the ramp at the chilli crawl I would say I'm doing pretty well. Can't really fit any more uptravel but want some more droop. I know the front shocks are limiting my droop. Plan is to stuff 2-3 inch longer shocks in there.

Also really want to beef up the lower control arm mounts on the front end since they are a ticking time bomb

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2015, 09:19:26 PM »
Thanks for the offer Rockman. I took mine off today and took it over to my Mom's BF's shop and we straightened it with his press. He has lots of sick tools so it took about 30 secs and its almost good as new lol. Put it back on along with a new trans mount which needed to be replaced anyways and she's ready for some beating!
kyle doesn't need a press. that guy is an animal.
he un-folded my hot exhaust from under my axle while my jeep was running. ...
I'd swear he was related to chuck norris.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

I would agree lol, he's become my muscle when working on stuff. I replaced a lower control arm a couple weekends ago and got one bolt out but couldn't get the other one out. I asked him for help and so he put his foot on it and promptly snapped the bolt off. We then got out the torch and he proceeded to melt out the bushing. Came out from under the Jeep with bits of rubber all over his arm and told me they didn't teach him that in school.

He's very nice to have around haha

Offline woolyworm

• Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2015, 08:51:30 PM »

Wooly
75CJ7, 72 AMC 304, T18, 45:1 crawl, chromo axles, warn hubs, 3" Black Diamond, 1/4" belly skid, front locker, other goodies, sweat ...

Offline Lucifer

• Dreaming of double-digit mpg...
  • Non Supporting Members
  • Wishing I had TJKDave's Crawl Ratio...
  • Model and Year: 2002 TJ Sport
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2015, 08:38:02 PM »
Thanks for the offer Rockman. I took mine off today and took it over to my Mom's BF's shop and we straightened it with his press. He has lots of sick tools so it took about 30 secs and its almost good as new lol. Put it back on along with a new trans mount which needed to be replaced anyways and she's ready for some beating!
kyle doesn't need a press. that guy is an animal.
he un-folded my hot exhaust from under my axle while my jeep was running. ...
I'd swear he was related to chuck norris.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Don't know what that sound is?  Keep driving. She'll let you know in a minute if it's going to be an issue...

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2015, 08:13:21 PM »
Well this is way overdue for an update. I suppose it shows what my priorities have been with the Jeep this summer, Wheeling!! Boy have I wheeled the crap out of the old girl. It has impressed me every time I've gone out with where it will go and what it will climb. Now more than ever i'm fairly firm in my decision to stay on 31's. I went to Jericho last weekend as many of you know and tried 95% of their trails with the exception of two short black loops. One of which was a very steep rocky climb that I believe they said nobody had gone up and the other one that I didn't try due to time. I never winched, didn't break anything, and had a fantastic time. I've always loved sleeper cars, be it a volvo with a v8 or a CJ with 700 hp. I think that's the direction I want to take. So with that theme in mind I threw together a quick list of mods, most of which will come this winter. Some are just maintenance and things that have been put off and others should help the function. Ultimately it may get a turbo but that won't be in the budget for a bit.

•   Front Axle (Needs some maintenance and love)
    o       DIY Truss and Beef upper control arm mounts
    o       Artec Lower Control Arm Mounts (Getting worried about ripping them off)
    o       Alloy USA Axle Tube seals
    o         Alloy USA Balljoints
•   Rear Axle  (It's getting the 8.8 I have sitting around in prep more for the future turbo and because it has an LS)
    o       Weld on mounts and set up
    o       Calipers and Pads
    o       Paint
    o       Tighten up limit slip
•   Transmission   (Bearings are getting quite noisy so it's coming out at some point in the nearish future
    o       Rebuild and fix whatever is wrong
•   Clutch   (Might as well do it while the trans is out)
•   Flywheel and inertia ring   (Same as above, supposed to make the 2.5 virtually unstallable)
•   Install SYE on T-Case and check internals   (Have this stuff too just need to install)
•   Build Driveshaft
•   Belly Skid  (Want as much clearance as possible, more strength, and smoothness)
•   Oil Pan Skid  (Dented it for the third time at Jericho so this needs to happen)
•   Finish Rocker Guards  (Just gotta find the time)
•   Front Bumper  (Lowest priority)

I figured if I make myself a list I might stand a chance of getting some of it done. It's been an amazing wheeling season so far and I look forward to some more fall wheeling before I dig out the sleds. Wouldn't want to be wheeling with anyone else!!

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2015, 09:10:16 PM »

Offline rockman

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »
I have a stock skid pan that you can have but it's in Greene.

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
Thought a quick update was in order. Took the Jeep on a roadtrip to southern CT to visit some friends and look at a truck. The guy I who had the truck that I ended up buying was a friend and also has a Jeep so somehow he convinced me to drive that down instead of my comfortable fuel efficient DD to go wheeling. Checked out the truck and then commenced wheeling. The trail was pretty awesome, lots of sweet rock ledges to climb and thoroughly test the new front locker. Lets just say that he's on 35's but not locked and I climbed 3 different ledges that he did not. I'm in love.

However.... my success didn't come without some damage. One of the ledge had a pretty nasty breakover at the top that I turtled on the first time. Decided I really didn't want to back down the ledge the way I came. So I backed up a couple feet and hit it harder. I made it but my stock shovel didn't enjoy it as much as I did. It's now more like a U shape than straight and pushed my t-case back up to it's stock position which gave me loads of fun vibes on the way home. So anyways next on the list is a different pan but I'm going to straighten the stock one so that I can go to Go Topless Day this weekend. It still drive and I drove it 6 hours like that but it's rather annoying lol.

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2015, 12:48:32 PM »
Oh sweet deal, I'll be in then!

Offline Mike Reynolds

• President
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2015, 09:41:28 AM »
We stock the Spicers Aaron if you want some. Definitely worth the extra money.
Jeepin ain't easy

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2015, 08:32:49 AM »
Yep I did the rotation thing and all seems to be functioning correctly. Took it for a bit of a ride and it is virtually transparent in 2wd but definitely locks in 4wd.

Ya the U-joints are junk. I needed to get it back together to drive it back to school today so I just chucked another set at it. It was only like $20 so no big loss. I'll get them replaced with some good ones before I get too aggressive. If I'm not mistaken the TJ's come with those bigger joints from the factory. Also it's a 4 banger so as long as I don't get really aggressive I shouldn't have too much trouble with a locker on 31's

Offline woolyworm

• Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2015, 07:40:00 AM »
Awesome!  You did the rotation thing at the end, right?  Too bad about the joints-use spicer only.  That locker will likely make even quicker work of those light duty ones so you might as well order the spicer's now :).  I lucked out and found new chromoly shafts with 5-790x u joints in them for about $250 which gave piece of mind on breakage.  I believe you can put the 5-790x joints in your TJ axles as well - they are an upgrade from the stock ones-at least they are in the CJ.

Wooly

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2015, 03:57:46 PM »
It's in! Had to replace the darn front axle u-joints again. Only been like a year and a half. I guess that's what I get for using Auto Zone crappy flipping parts. Unfortunately I had to do that again because I had to get it back together and couldn't wait or good ones. Luckily they're cheap. Making it a priority to get good ones in there before wheeling season really ramps up. Next up are some rock sliders and an oil pan skid. I also have some interior mods and some cool new navigation goodies I got that I will be posting about in the near future.

Offline Corey

• Seven Slot Fabrication
  • Non Supporting Members
  • Build-Break-Repeat
  • Model and Year: 1993 Jeep Wrangler "Unlimited", 1952 Willys CJ-3a, 1997 TJ Sport
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2015, 10:08:20 AM »
I bought my Lock Right off ebay shipped for around 225

Offline TJKDave

• Crawl Ratio: TJ 47.50:1 JK 58.9:1
  • Model and Year: 1999 TJ, 2012 JK TreadLightly Supporter
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2015, 07:29:11 AM »
Where did you guys purchase your Aussie from?
I just googled Aussie Locker and bought it from the manufacturer, they sent it for $272.

ok, cool. I saw it there for $249 plus $25 shipping.  Just thought I'd ask those who have one in case you found something better.
99% of your JK questions answered here thanks to  JLC08JK on JeepForum for this information:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/jeep-jk-frequently-asked-questions-will-rub-links-popular-threads-1074059/

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2015, 10:34:45 PM »
Yep same here. Googled it and bought it from them. To my door for right around $280. Install has gone great. Didn't finish tonight but I just have to put the axles back in and the brakes back on. I am going to replace the front axle u-joints while the shafts are out because one is shot. Just replaced them 2 years ago so that's a bit annoying but they are pretty cheap.

For anyone who has a jeep with a unit bearing front axle there's an easy trick to getting the shafts/unit bearings out. First take the brakes off, then take the unit bearing bolts out. Then place something between the inner C and the outer stub shaft u-joint ear and simply turn the steering wheel. I even start the jeep and use the power assist because I'm lazy. But this method pops the shafts out super quickly. I used a 1 inch chuck of 2x3 box tube this time that I had lying around and that worked even better than a socket. Many of you probably know this trick but I thought it might help someone. My Boss taught me it a couple years ago when he helped me do the U-joints the first time around

Offline rockman

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 09:54:07 PM »
I just googled Aussie Locker and bought it from the manufacturer, they sent it for $272.

Offline TJKDave

• Crawl Ratio: TJ 47.50:1 JK 58.9:1
  • Model and Year: 1999 TJ, 2012 JK TreadLightly Supporter
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 09:35:20 PM »
99% of your JK questions answered here thanks to  JLC08JK on JeepForum for this information:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/jeep-jk-frequently-asked-questions-will-rub-links-popular-threads-1074059/

Offline woolyworm

• Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2015, 05:56:19 PM »
I've got one in my front and it's been great.

Wooly

Offline Corey

• Seven Slot Fabrication
  • Non Supporting Members
  • Build-Break-Repeat
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2015, 04:28:36 PM »
yes that is a lunch box locker very similar to the lock right

74Cj5

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2015, 04:23:06 PM »
The Jeep is getting an Aussie tonight!!!! Super excited to see how much of an improvement this makes.

Is that a auto locker?  Similar to Lockrite truetrax?

Offline woolyworm

• Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »

Wooly

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2015, 01:54:38 PM »
The Jeep is getting an Aussie tonight!!!! Super excited to see how much of an improvement this makes.

Offline rockman

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 07:48:38 PM »
A locker will give you better traction in the rear, no question because the weight goes to the rear when climbing, but you get much better maneuverability with an auto-locker in the front. Having the ability to drive out of ruts and choose good lines is a definite plus, I'd call it about even depending on the trail. An auto-locker in the front is much more desirable on the road.
Rockman can you explain to me how a auto locker is better then a manual locker on road?
I don't believe that any locker is preferred for the road and a selectable is better because you can choose not to use it but I've never had an issue with breaking traction because of it.

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 06:11:48 PM »
No way I'm breaking any locker with 130 hp and 31's lol

74Cj5

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 10:58:38 AM »
First Corey, I think that is the plan. Either them or the machine shop right near my house that I also use.

Rockman, It's going in the front for a couple of reasons. One being that I detest the D35 and it's getting swapped for an 8.8. The 8.8 I have has a factory limit slip so I'm going to run that for a little while. Also I like it in the front because I've had times where the front wouldn't climb something because only one tire was on it. Also I still drive it on road some in the winter and would rather have it in the front than back for that.

74CJ5, I don't think he means an auto locker is better on the road than a selectable locker. As far as I can tell they aren't. But they are about 1/4 - 1/3 of the cost and when you're on a college budget that's a huge deal.
No question they are cheaper $ and depending how much HPxTraction can = broken pins
Then there is taking the time to set up the ring and pin.  Not everyone knows how to do that or the tools.  So I can see why people like the auto lockers.
The auto lockers on ice cover roads are dangerous.

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 12:16:09 AM »
I don't always and I also don't drive it a ton in the snow. I have a car that I DD more than the Jeep to save gas and wear on the tires. I'm also planning on having a pickup by next winter so it will probably hardly get driven at all

Offline Mike Reynolds

• President
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 11:41:35 PM »
 :o I hope you don't use four wheel drive on the road in the winter.
Jeepin ain't easy

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 11:23:58 PM »
First Corey, I think that is the plan. Either them or the machine shop right near my house that I also use.

Rockman, It's going in the front for a couple of reasons. One being that I detest the D35 and it's getting swapped for an 8.8. The 8.8 I have has a factory limit slip so I'm going to run that for a little while. Also I like it in the front because I've had times where the front wouldn't climb something because only one tire was on it. Also I still drive it on road some in the winter and would rather have it in the front than back for that.

74CJ5, I don't think he means an auto locker is better on the road than a selectable locker. As far as I can tell they aren't. But they are about 1/4 - 1/3 of the cost and when you're on a college budget that's a huge deal.

74Cj5

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 08:34:14 PM »
A locker will give you better traction in the rear, no question because the weight goes to the rear when climbing, but you get much better maneuverability with an auto-locker in the front. Having the ability to drive out of ruts and choose good lines is a definite plus, I'd call it about even depending on the trail. An auto-locker in the front is much more desirable on the road.
Rockman can you explain to me how a auto locker is better then a manual locker on road?

Offline rockman

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 07:29:57 PM »

Offline woolyworm

• Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 07:08:09 PM »

You can't really cut it off because the floor is welded to the part of the side that hangs down. You could but it would be more work than bending it up like that. As for the reason for the 45 you need that because you bend the rocker up higher but the body mount channel hangs down. So for it to line up with that you need the 45. We'll see how it comes out. I think it will be good without doing all the work of full boatsides.

Ahhhh.  Yes, it will be cool for sure.

Wooly

Offline Corey

• Seven Slot Fabrication
  • Non Supporting Members
  • Build-Break-Repeat
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 06:45:09 PM »
I would just have lane supply put the bends in the plate.  Will have a cleaner look and a lot less aggravation.  They did my rockers.

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 06:40:36 PM »
You can't really cut it off because the floor is welded to the part of the side that hangs down. You could but it would be more work than bending it up like that. As for the reason for the 45 you need that because you bend the rocker up higher but the body mount channel hangs down. So for it to line up with that you need the 45. We'll see how it comes out. I think it will be good without doing all the work of full boatsides.

Offline woolyworm

• Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »
Sounds like a good project.  Couldn't you just cut that lower body steel off instead of bending it - you can see he warped his bending it up.  Also, if you cut or bent at a 90 deg, you would get even more clearance with a 90 bend in the slider wouldn't you?  In a boat side, the 45 allows you to actually cut into the cab which actually gives more clearance.  In his, the 45 just lowers where the bottom of the slider ends up.  I'd just cut the sheet metal off below the floor and put on 90 Deg bend sliders for the most clearance.  Unless you are going for the chamfered look of the 45.

Wooly

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 01:43:16 PM »
Think it's time for a bit of an update. I haven't done a whole lot to the old girl. Been driving it quite a bit lately which has been nice. I think I finally got the alternator issue sorted out that I had back in January. The second reman one from Autozone seems to be working well. Strongly discourage anyone from buying a reman one if theirs goes out. Although I will say that they did stand behind it and give me another one.

I have a few things on the agenda for the spring

- Mini Boatside rocker guards: Genright makes them and basically you fold the lower part of the rocker up out of the way which give some          more clearance. Genrights are of course serious money so I did some looking and found a DIY thread which i'm going to follow.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-mini-boat-side-rockers-894976/

- Front Bumper: This may or may not get done before wheeling season but I'm going to build one off of the A to Z Fab center section that will protect my Fenders.

- Oil Pan Skid: Something simple to protect the vitals until I redesign when I do a tummy tuck down the road.

- It really should have a steering box because the current one has some serious slop so hopefully I can get that knocked out.

- I am asking for a Aussie for the D30 for my birthday in April and I'm super excited to see how much that helps. I also want to compare with Henry since he has just a rear and I will have just a front initially and other than that our jeeps are fairly similar

Mostly I'm just super stoked to get the dang thing in the dirt and rocks!

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 03:25:43 PM »
Thanks Paul!! Itching to start wheeling!

Offline woolyworm

• Non Supporting Member
  • 75 CJ7
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 01:32:31 PM »
Trailer build thread for you A

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24236

Wooly

Offline yamaha225

• Maineiac Offroad
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 07:36:40 PM »
Ya I'm not a huge fan of wiring, kind of see it as a necessary evil haha. My roommate's majoring in Electric engineering so I give him all of my puzzles