Visitor Center / Information > Laws and Regulations

Maine State Equipment Laws

(1/11) > >>

Grimm:

--- Quote from: Grumpy on April 14, 2014, 12:17:20 AM ---If you have commercal plates, are you required to stop at weigh station on interstate, when it is open?

--- End quote ---
Technically yes. Most of the time if you are in a personal vehicle such as a pickup they just wave you on through though. I made the mistake of not stopping once in my old dodge and was pulled over and asked why I didn't stop. I was 19 at the time I just told him I didn't realize I had to since I was only registered as commercial because of the gvwr and that I didn't use it for commerce. I got a written warning but was always waved through anytime I stopped after that.

Grumpy:
If you have commercal plates, are you required to stop at weigh station on interstate, when it is open?

Grimm:

--- Quote from: Corey on April 12, 2014, 11:09:55 PM ---200 more per year to register as commercial?!?  That's not even close to right.  I have commercial plates on my 3/4 ton diesel.  The increased cost was around 12 dollars.

I wouldn't get to wrapped up in frame height measurements.  I have never had an inspection station measure that.  If the vehicle is lifted properly and is not ridiculously tall it is unlikely it will ever be an issue.

--- End quote ---
I always measure. A tj on 35" tires with a 4" lift is just within specs. We haven't had any lifted Jk's come in looking for sticker so I can't attest to their measurements. ... this is one of the reasons I will never go more than a 33 on my jeep. If I don't follow the law on my own vehicle I can face heavy fines and loss of license Even if I have someone else inspect it. Yes I agree Maine lift laws are ridiculous.

I also had a dodge truck at oe point in time with a 9600 gvwr the registration was only about $10 more per year to register as commercial. I think commercial registrations excise tax increase according to registered weight.

Corey:
200 more per year to register as commercial?!?  That's not even close to right.  I have commercial plates on my 3/4 ton diesel.  The increased cost was around 12 dollars.

I wouldn't get to wrapped up in frame height measurements.  I have never had an inspection station measure that.  If the vehicle is lifted properly and is not ridiculously tall it is unlikely it will ever be an issue.

MaineMan:
Hmm commercial plates? What negative side effects might one encounter?

When my dad had his one ton dually pickup, Maine made him put commercial plates on it due to the weight it could haul.  He only used it to drag his 5th wheel camper around.  What I'm getting at is that Maine and it's laws are stupid.  It's just a money issue thing.  It cost him some $200+ per year just to move his camper.     :nuts:

In other states, I see raised Jeeps and Pick-ups higher than I have ever witnessed here in Maine.  I just don't understand why Maine has such an issue with height as long as owners are reasonable about their height.  Maybe I'm not seeing the overall big picture of things.     :soap:  OK... I'll get off my soap box now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version