Author Topic: Winching Techniques  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Dreaming of double-digit mpg...
  • Non Supporting Members
  • Wishing I had TJKDave's Crawl Ratio...
  • Model and Year: 2002 TJ Sport
Re: Winching Techniques
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:49:22 PM »
I's more looking for the rigging in the rear... while it wasn't much, it was a good example of how to winch with your tires on slime.
Don't know what that sound is?  Keep driving. She'll let you know in a minute if it's going to be an issue...

hoodup

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »
there wasnt much to it but one of the pics i posted had your winchline hooked to my rig tho.

Offline Lucifer

• Non Supporting Members
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 05:30:00 AM »
By chance, did anyone get a picture of our rigging for when I winched Rob out on Sunday?
Don't know what that sound is?  Keep driving. She'll let you know in a minute if it's going to be an issue...

Offline Lucifer

• Non Supporting Members
Winching Techniques
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:02:09 AM »
I found this thread over on Jeepforum that has several videos.  They demonstrate proper winching techniques and even give displays of 2:1 winching, 8:1 winching, line direction change winching and even how to winch yourself BACKWARD with a front-mounted winch!

It is pretty spelled-out stuff and most of what he discusses is done automatically anyway, but there are tidbits here and there that make ALL the difference. 

An example: Always face the hook UP when hooking a winch cable hook onto a clevis.  Why?  If the hook breaks, it's going to shoot DOWN and into the ground instead of up into the air and back toward it's line origin.  So... that's his catch-phrase.  Whenever "hooking up" a winch, always remember, "HOOK UP"! :)

The videos are full of stuff like that, PLUS the applied geometry lessons on how to rig up some more complex pulls, including off-camber pulls, multiple direction pulls and even multiple winch pulls.  Well worth a look, even for seasoned recovery artists. :)

Check it out Here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/winch-technique-videos-maybe-some-will-find-informative-helpful-975435/